The Kentucky Derby is the most coveted race in all of thoroughbred horse racing. Betting on the Kentucky Derby exceeds that of any other race. In fact, it is one of the most wagered on events in all of sports. In 2013 a total of $130.5 million went through the windows for the Run for the Roses. The Derby is the first leg of the Triple Crown which also includes the Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes.
One of the best ways of finding a winner in the Derby is to start following the contenders closely early on. We will track the top contenders and list our top 10 every week on this page. Be sure to check back often!
2014 Kentucky Derby Contenders Top 10
- #1 Shared Belief (Candy Ride x Common Hope by Storm Cat) HYBRID/OUTCROSS
- #2 Strong Mandate (Tiznow x Clear Mandate by Deputy Minister) NORTHERN DANCER LINE
- #3 Havana (Dunkirk x Missy Turtle by Kyle’s Our Man) MR PROSPECTOR LINE
- #4 Tapiture (Tapit x Free Spin by Olympio) MR PROSPECTOR LINE
- #5 Honor Code (AP Indy x Serena’s Cat by Storm Cat) MR PROSPECTOR LINE
- #6 Cairo Prince (Pioneerof The Nile x Holy Bubbette by Holy Bull) ND/MP HYBRID
- #7 Gold Hawk (Empire Maker x Caressing by Honour and Glory) ND/MP HYBRID
- #8 Top Billing (Curlin x Parade Queen by A.P. Indy) MR PROSPECTOR LINE
- #9 Commissioner (A.P. Indy x Flaming Heart by Touch Gold) MR PROSPECTOR LINE
- #10 Noble Moon (Malibu Moon x Mambo Bell by Kingmambo) MR PROSPECTOR LINE
Mean Stud Fee: $61,500
Trainers: Todd Pletcher (2), Shug McGuaghey (2), Steve Asmussen (2), Jerry Hollendorfer, Leah Gyarmati, Kiaran McLaughlin, D Wayne Lukas
Jockeys: Corey Nakatani, Joel Rosario (2), John Velazquez (assuming he gets Havana back), Ricardo Santana Jr (2), JJ Castellano (2), Jose Lezcano, Irad Ortiz Jr.
Kentucky Derby Winning Trainers & Jockeys: Todd Pletcher, Shug McGuaghey, D Wayne Lukas, Joel Rosario, John Velazquez
Horses Trained by Bob Baffert: ZERO