- Louisiana Derby second place finisher Mark Valeski worked five furlongs in 1:00.20 at Churchill Downs. Trainer Larry Jones was non-committal about the Kentucky Derby, saying that he would wait until Wednesday morning to make a decision about running.
- San Felipe Stakes winner Creative Cause was sent through four furlongs in :47.80 for trainer Mike Harrington. The normally quiet conditioner was quick to call the work “perfect” and is eagerly anticipating the big race. Harrington says he hopes for a post between 8-12 and a quick pace to chase.
- The Bob Baffert camp appears on the surface to be over the moon with the work of Grade 1 CashCall Futurity winner Liaison. The son of Indian Charlie covered five furlongs in 1:00.80 under jockey Martin Garcia. Baffert noted that he has looked more like a Derby horse than he ever has and that he will be competitive on Saturday. Liaison enters the Run for the Roses after three poor efforts as a sophomore, the latest being a sixth place finish in the Santa Anita Derby.
- Stablemates Sabercat (:48.40) and Daddy Nose Best (:49.40) worked four furlongs for Steve Asmussen. He noted that Sabercat will have to run the best race of his life to win and that Daddy Nose Best is a confident horse moving well over the surface. Both will be moving from the back of the pack.
- Bodemeister walked the shedrow Monday after a swift breeze in :59.60 on Sunday.Baffert says the son of Empire Maker will need a good draw and some racing luck to wear the Roses on Saturday.
- Blue Grass Stakes victor Dullahan galloped 1 ½ miles under exercise rider Faustino Aguilar. The son of Even The Score will try to make history as the first half-sibling of a previous Derby winner to take the race. His half brother, Mine That Bird, won in 2009. The trainer of that horse, Chip Woolley, visited Dullahan on the backstretch to wish him luck.
- The wagering menu for the Kentucky Oaks and Derby has been announced.
- KENTUCKY OAKS AND DERBY DAY WAGERING FORMATS:
–Minimum $2 Win, Place, Show (all races)
–$1 Exactas (all races)
–50-cent Trifectas (all races with five or more betting interests)
–$1 Superfectas (all races with six or more betting interests)
–$1 Super Hi-5 on Kentucky Oaks (Race 11) and Kentucky Derby (Race 11) races
–Rolling $1 Doubles
–Rolling 50-cent Pick 3s
–50-cent Pick 4s on Races 2-5, 4-7 & 8-11 both days, plus an additional Pick 4 on Races 10-13 on Kentucky Derby Day
–50-cent Pick 5 on Races 7-11
–$2 TwinSpires.com Guaranteed Pick 6 on Races 6-11 ($200,000 on Oaks Day, $500,000 on Derby Day)
–Special $1 Kentucky Oaks/Kentucky Derby Double
–Special 50-cent Kentucky Oaks/Woodford Reserve Turf Classic/Kentucky Derby Pick 3
–On-track parlay wagering available on up to six races on all Win, Place and/or Show pools